Monday, November 12, 2007

Literary Analysis(Chapter 8)

A. Paul reports to a training camp after his leave. Right nextdoor is russian prison camp, who survive off the garbage from germans. He looks at them and realizes how similar he is to them, that they are not so different. He begins to respect the russians, and hears one of them play a violin which touches paul. His father and sister visit paul and give him cakes. He doesnt want them and wants to give them to the prisoners, but thinks of how hard it was for his mother to make them. So he gives the prisoners 2 cakes.

B. I went to a training camp nextdoor to a russian prisoner camp. I began to respect those prisoners because they are so similar to me. They are not different, the are good people too. It saddens me to see them starving, they live on our garbage. My father and sister came to visit me before I went to the front. they gave me cakes, which I shared with the prisoners.
C. Vocab.
1. Opalescent(Remarque, 188)- having a milky iridescence.
2. Friesland(remarque, 190)-A region of northern Europe on the North Sea between the Scheldt and Weser rivers.
D. Political Cartoon

Analysis
The allies were in constant need of materials. So people could get money off scrap metal easily.
E. I learned how horrible it is to be taken prisoner in war.

No comments: