Monday, November 12, 2007

Literary Analysis(Chapter 7)

A. Pauls Company is sent to the rear for reorganization. Himmelstoss finally helps the men, and gives them food, and easy jobs. Paul, along with Leer and Kropp, meet three French women while swimming. They break orders and swim across, with food. Then Paul receives 17 days of leave. When Paul returns home, he discovers his mother has cancer, and he no longer fits in with society in town.

B. This week I went back to a depot for organization. Atleast Himmelstoss finally was helping us. We met some french women, and gave them food, but they pitied us, calling us "poor boys". Then I got leave for 17 days, and went home. I was upset that my Mother had cancer, she could barely move. I felt like an outsider back at home. The men asked what it was like, and they felt like we could win, but thats not true. I had to tell kemmerichs mother how he died, I lied for her sake. I wish I never went home.

C. Vocab.
1. Quartermaster (remarque,141)-an officer charged with providing quarters, clothing, fuel, transportation, etc., for a body of troops.
2.Poplar(Remarque, 143)-the light, soft wood of any of these trees, used for pulp.



D. Political Cartoon






Analysis


This cartoon was in response to continued German u-boat attacks at sea in World War I, and features President Woodrow Wilson.





E. I learned how much war throws you out of place and society.

No comments: