Monday, November 12, 2007

Literary Analysis(Chapter 10)

A. Paul and his friends must defend a supply dump. They get access to a concret shelter with beds and food like eggs, and butter. Paul makes pancakes, and his friends roast pigs. The enemy sees smoke from the building and bombs it, Paul finishes the pancakes, regardless of the bombs. They feast grandly twice. Paul gets wounded along with Kropp, and they go to a hospital. Paul is allowed to go home and heal, and Kropps leg was amputated. Paul has trouble leaving his ever-weaker mother.


B. I had a grand feast, pork, pancakes, and all. It was grand. I lived the good life for weeks. Then Kropp and I were injured by a shell. I was allowed to go home, but poor kropp had his leg amputated. I was lucky to go home. It was hard to leave my poor mother, she was very weak.


C. Vocab.


1. Sentimental(Remarque, 232)-weakly emotional; mawkishly susceptible or tender.


2. Uppish (Remarque, 233)-arrogant; condescending; uppity.





D. Political Cartoons
Analysis
This cartoon shows how the people were expected to share their homes with soldiers. They did not like it.
E. I learned how bad it was to be injured back then, escpecially.

No comments: